This week we interviewed director Nathan Leigh Horrocks to find out a bit more about what makes him tick.
1. What made you pursue filmmaking?
I started out on the TV advertising agency side as an Art Director and it was seeing some of the old school TV directors at work that really inspired me to try and become a director in my own right.
2. What roadblocks did you face when you were starting out and what do you face today (if any)?
Moving sideways from Creative Director in an agency to independent Director is a hard thing to do. Everyone’s perception of who you are has to change and that can be tricky.
3. What is your greatest film achievement to date?
All films are hard to make so for me finishing the most recent film always feels like the greatest thing.
4. Can you tell us about the greatest personal moment in your career so far?
Getting industry recognition for what you do really helps to keep you moving forwards as most of the time self-doubt is the norm. But on a daily basis getting a shot from your mind onto the screen better than the way you imagined it is the best personal feeling.
5. Do you have any advice for young filmmakers out there ?
There is no excuse for not making films. Do more, talk less.
6. Do you think it is essential to go to a film institute in order to become a successful filmmaker?
No. You will learn and be inspired more from a suitcase full of Blue Ray extras and the internet than film school.
7. Which film or piece of content has inspired you the most?
Nike LNDR – highly technical, funny and irreverent. Great work!
8. Which director(s) do you look up to and why?
Charlotte Regan and Jason Bradbury, both young and fearless directors. I have been fortunate to work with both of them on their award winning short films.
9. What is your dream film job/brief and why? Tell us who/which brand you would you love to work with.
The dream job would be to work with a brand that wants to take some creative risks. Be prepared to lose everything in order to win. Fear kills creativity.
10. What’s in-store for 2019?
More, bigger & better work!
If you want to find out more about Nathan or have project you’d like to work with him on, get in touch with us here.